Thursday, March 22, 2012

Vocabulary Spelling City the Perfect Common Core Resource


Since new Common Core Standards are here for the state in which I teach, I spent a couple of days last week looking over all the new requirements.  To my surprise and dismay, my current teaching curriculum has to be completely changed!  With implementation beginning for all 4th graders next year, or in teacher lingo, 5 MONTHS from now, I didn't have much time.  I was really starting to panic, thinking of all of the new resources I would need to track down to not only re-do my entire curriculum, but at the same time, make learning fun for my students.  I thought about a website that I love and have been using this year, VocabularySpellingCity, so I popped over to the site to check it out.  WOW!  To my joy and relief,  I saw tons of activities for just the standards I needed! I remembered that one of our new specific standards is to learn how to use homophones correctly and, sure enough, VSC had this completely covered! (Check out the picture I have included to see just a few of the homophone lists that are available for importing and printing.)  My smile just kept getting bigger and bigger as I realized that VSC also has resources for parts of speech, math vocabulary, possessive nouns, and many more. WooHoo!  I found fourteen games or activities available to play online or to print for free, but best of all, I found a place that makes learning fun!  My students next year will  have a blast  playing while learning and I'm doing the Teacher Dance! A favorite game in my classroom this year  is Hang Mouse. There is even a Teach Me activity!

While I started off just taking advantage of all the freebies, I had to investigate the premium membership, just to see what it offered.  After reading about all of the benefits  I was really impressed! Premium membership offers a lot of really great tools, such as student progress tracking, vocabulary development activities, premium games and even student access from home and school.  Use the Differentiate Instruction  tool, with the  student and list grouping features. The pricing is extremely reasonable in my opinion, and well worth every penny! It's one of the best investments I've ever made for my classroom, and I am confident it will be the same for you. Although I am lucky that all of my students have laptops for classroom use , most students have computer access available at home and this site even gets parents excited.  I've had several parents tell me how much they love VSC since I have started  using it with their kids.  I have 5 different spelling lists going in my classroom now instead of just one because it is so simple to keep up with them. Imagine never having to grade another Spelling or Vocabulary test again. That alone is worth the membership fee! I am using VocabularySpellingCity in my classroom every day and I HIGHLY recommend this site for all teachers! I would love to hear how VSC is helping you work your own classroom magic! (Click {HERE} or on the pictures to try out the free resources available.)

















7 comments:

  1. I use Spelling City in my classroom, and my students love it. Their fav is Hang Mouse. Thanks for sharing this idea!

    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the freebies and suggestions. I have never heard of this program before! I must look into it.

    ~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  3. I currently use this site and students and parents love it! I was looking into the premium membership for the spelling test feature, but wasn't sure if it would work for my class. We use Word Journeys which means they have to spell the word correctly and put it in the correct sort. Have you noticed this option with your membership? I don't see anything about it on their info page.

    This would be great next year when we are no longer taking spelling grades, but instead will be using it as formative assessments and the word study standards will be assessed in their daily writing. I don't see myself having the time or energy to spend an hour or more every week grading spelling tests that wont go in the grade book! I would love to see this feature on VSC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin,

      This is not a feature. I did use Word Journeys many years ago and know of whole school districts that use it. VSC is always asking for suggestions, and I think that would be a great one. Sorting is such an important skill.

      Selina

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing! I will definitely check this site out.

    Selina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did you find the grade level CC information? I cannot find third grade lists. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete